Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Saturday, 28th November 2009.

What can I say besides “I think I died two and a half times today evening but it was all goooood” =P Due to the recent changes to MKA’s training schedule, I managed to convince my parents to allow me to stay up until the end of the senior’s session and since I get there early enough, I get to have a little taste of the nonbogu session at 4pm before I get all suited up. Ahh~ ^__^ Just my luck, eh? But hey, if the senseis and the others seniors tell me that more basic practice is good for my “oh-so-screwed-up” Kendo, I’d gladly plunge my head into it even though it meant more sore muscles, new blisters and most importantly, MORE brutally truthful criticism. They all come in a nice package wrapped in coloured paper with a pretty little ribbon on the top (Haha!).

I almost forgot how it felt like after the warming up during the basic’s session since I’ve been missing those due to Federal’s infamous traffic jams… But not today! I was early this time *evil laugh* and off I went suriashi-ing around the dojo floor along with the rest ^.^ The constant pin-pricking feeling at the bottom of the arch of my left foot after that was absolutely annoying and no matter how much I stretch it before keiko, it’s still like that. Hmm… Like I was telling Nelson over MSN, it seemed as if I hit a nice jackpot that evening (LOL) and the prize being blisters, bruised heel, and a split skin on the ball of my right foot. Hahaha~! But anyhow, the following are the advices I got (and also some things that noticed in my own Kendo) during the whole of today’s keiko.

Basics (Non-bogu) Session.
• The execution of a big men cut has to be done by swinging the shinai in a full semi-circle.
• Shinai must be kept centred during the upswing motion.
• Tenouchi – Force from the right hand is only applied at the very last minute with a slight inward twist by both hands.
• The angle of the shinai (during men cut) should be increased by further raising the left hand – increases the distance between motodachi and reach.
• Zanshin.

Junior Bogu Session.
• Kirikaeshi – footwork during attacking. Blocking while receiving.
• 7 points before executing a cut (Which I cannot seem to remember them all >.< I am always missing a few)
• Sashi men (small men) – Kasahara-san told me that for future uses (perhaps, in the far future), I shouldn’t take one step in first and then start raising my shinai. Instead, I should do it all in one step ^^ Just for the heck of it, I tried it on the next round. Wooo~ VERY far future (haha).
• Doh uchi – Must go in straight and not diagonally.
• Aiuchi men – MUST HIT! Don’t just go through…
• Uchikomigeiko – Distance is important.

Kata Session.
• Similarly to the last entry.
• All hits MUST reach the target otherwise it will end up being a “Stick dance” as how Toyoda-sensei would put it ^__^
• The ‘break’ off from the opponent – Bokuto has to be ‘opened’ more towards the right. “Like flipping a page.” (Quote: Christopher Wong) =P
• Must maintain the 9 step distance from the opponent. Using ‘landmarks’ may help.

Senior Bogu Session (Jigeiko).
With Chris.
• Every cut that was made has to hit the opponent regardless of whether or not if the opponent hits me first.
• No hesitation.
• Distance – too near.
• More wrist work required for small cuts – not strong enough.
• Kiai must be stronger.
With Vincent.
• Distance again (Too near) – especially for hiki men.
• Reaction to openings! – I successfully got one off him!

It felt as if I was getting one step closer to overcoming my ‘freezing’ problem ^^|| Then again, I only managed to react to one in a rather decent speed I suppose. My training today officially ended with Chris and Vincent both teasing me till no end for being a “deer in headlights”. I didn’t know if I should be laughing or be worried but I guess doing both won’t kill me just yet ^^

1 comment:

Unknown said...

niiice....

Maybe your kendo is gonna be really brutal one day. You know those stories.... the ones about kids who were dumb in school but actually when they grew up to be supergeniuses? Maybe its your case with kendo